ACA Summer Camp Facts
Here are some statistics according to the American Camping Association:
- Summer camp enrollment is increasingly steadily about 10% every year, so the need for staff is greater with each camping season.
- 2 out of 3 camp directors are women and 44% are under 35 years old. Less than 10% are over the age of 53.
- 72% of camp director positions are full-time. Most of the rest are full-time during the summer and part-time during the rest of the year.
- 37% of camps have been in operation since before the 1960s.
- The average camp has two full-time and one part-time staff member.
- About 50% of campers and staff return each year to the same summer camp.
- The average salary of a summer camp director is $40,000 per year plus benefits. For seasonal employees, here are the typical amount you can expect to make in the following jobs:If you return to your camp job the next summer, you can typically expect a 4% pay raise.
Also, if you’re looking for some where with great heritage, Camp Dudley is the oldest continually running summer camp in the Unites States. According to their website, the camp was found in 1885. The return rate for campers there is over 80%, and they have a strong alumni program that makes it possible for young campers who have little money to attend the camp. Not every summer camp in the country has this kind of legacy, but many camps have strong backing from former campers, who later return as counselors.